Yes, I find that close encounters with aliens, aka motorists, leave me
feeling blue and anxious and sad. But I consider that you have (or, at
least, I have) similar close encounters when I drive, so that tends to put
things back into perspective, along with the statistics that cycling is
really not that dangerous.

It comes down to the inevitable, though not necessary (in the ontological
sense), existence of error, evil, conflict, part of life. But -- this is
important! -- I don't believe it is always worse for cycling than for life
generally.

Patrick Moore, sad and depressed  because he just discovered that James
Gang, who sounded so hip sophisticated in HS, turned out to be pretty bad
musically.

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Joe Bartoe <jbar...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> This morning, my commute to work was a bit scary. As I headed down the PCH
> from the Leucadia area, I was passed a bit too close by a white Toyota
> pickup with a pipe tied to its passenger side (along the top of the bed and
> over the side mirror) like a lance protruding from the front. This was close
> to the Panickin Coffee place for those who are locals. Then, as I was riding
> through Encinitas, some guy in a white Lexus SC430 (CA plates containing
> "FORE") decides to buzz me. Then, before I knew it the same white pickup
> truck with the pipe came along and buzzed me again. Now, I was yelling and
> gesturing at this guy when he decided to slam on his brakes. I was mad
> enough to take this guy on, but mostly I just wanted to report him so I
> whipped out my phone. He must have seen this and he took off. The rest of my
> commute all I could think about was finding one of these two vehicles parked
> along my route so I could report them. Unfortunately, I was unable to see
> the plate of the truck
>  and I only got the "FORE" on the Lexus. I hate it when my commute is
> ruined by people whose idea of fun is crap like this.
>
> Anyway, stay safe out there. And remember, sometimes your best defense may
> be your phone (and maybe a frame pump...could you imagine trying to beat
> someone with a CO2 cannister?)
>
> Joe

Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM