COVID canceled our plan to tour in the UK on our Bilenky tandem this
summer, so in partial compensation today we went for a day ride on the
Illinois and Michigan Canal from Lasalle to Marseilles, Il and back on our
Rivendell HHH -- about 45 miles. Nice ride, even if the path is very poorly
maintained in places -- between Utica and Ottawa the path got rougher and
rougher, then there was a missing bridge which required us to take the
tandem down a muddy bank and wheel it across an 18" wide bridge some kind
sole threw together from some old lumber. We then had to navigate a long
section of limestone mud with running water -- fun! We ate lunch at Tangled
Roots brew pub in Ottawa, IL (Yum!) and avoided the worst stretches of the
path on the return by taking the road for 5 miles. A good day out... even
if it isn't quite Cornwall, the British Peak District or Scotland!

Photos here https://flic.kr/s/aHsmPzWJoy   sine Google Groups tells me i
can't upload them into the message for some reason.

Julian Westerhout
Bloomington, IL