Patrick, I believe you're right, it's a matter of experience. For the first
few rides descending fast, rough dirt roads it felt strange and unfamiliar
to have the rear end moving around so far behind me. It felt like it was
jumping around. Now I don't even notice that, but I do notice the
smoothness and tracking from the long wheelbase.

It's the technical climbing that gets me- where you have to trackstand,
bounce sideways, thread the needle through some rocks, hop up ledges, and
so on. I can't ride that terrain well on any bike, so the wheelbase
probably isn't at fault. 😉