I believe VO uses the same mold as the IRD Defiant cranks:

<goog_972847398>
https://www.interlocracing.com/shop/product/ird-crankset-defiant-triple-4060

I'm pretty sure the VO crankset is not "hollow." I like the look of the
VO/Defiant, which is based on vintage Sugino Mighty Tour which is based on
old Campy cranks. Another plus is no hidden chainring bolt as found on the
XD 600. I've had the VO 50.4 crank on a bike for a number of years, have
used the Defiant on bikes as well, no issues. I would not base any decision
on which country the part was made in when the two choices are Japan and
Taiwan.

I guess in theory the tripleralizer design might be more problematic, if at
some point in the future you found you needed to replace the middle ring
and IRD was out of business. They currently sell a replacement ring.