I think the GBW is the stoutest rough stuff loaded camping bike RBW makes,
and no double top tubes there.
So clearly RBW doesn't think twin top tubes or diagatubes or rainbow tubes
are the only way to make a large frame with the strength / stiffness they
want in a touring bike.
For some of the frames they choose to go the extra tube route to get the
strength / stiffness they want for that model in that size (I presume).
To my eye the MIT Atlantis is a complete redesign, longer chain stays, more
tt slope, who knows what all else is altered from the original.
I wouldn't be surprised if the existence of the extra tube influenced the
choice of tubing specs.
It may be overly simplistic to assume that all things are equal except for
the addition of a whole nother tube.
It seems possible that the presence (or absence) of an extra tube on a
particular model and size of RBW frame tells less about its mechanical
properties than some of us tend to think.

If I were in the market for a frame for the uses RBW recommends the
Atlantis for, and was tall enough to ride one with a rainbow tube, I
wouldn't be second guessing Grant about that tube being an appropriate
design choice unless I disliked the way it looks. YMMV of course.