I prefer non-machined - the rims will last longer before needing replacing
as the machining a) decreases the thickness of the rim wall at the brake
track, and b) leads to variations in the thickness of the brake track
around the circumference of the rim. Velocity offer quite a few of their
rims in either machined or non-machined versions - I always choose the
non-machined ones if they are available.

Jobst Brandt's take on machined rims was this: "*What you hear and read is
mostly marketing hyperbole, but machining rims has its reason, and it isn't
for your benefit. If you inspect a machined rim closely, you'll find a
surface that looks as though made by a thread-cutting tool. The purpose is
not to get a flat braking surface, but rather to produce a series of fine
grooves to prevent brake squeal on new bicycle test rides.*"

Nick