I think it all depends on how long your arms and torso are relative to
your height not forgetting your age, weight and flexibility. I know I
have short arms, am overweight, old and inflexible so my bikes are all
odd looking to most with a bar height of 2- 3 cm higher than the
saddle. I'm fine with that and I can ride a low bar bike for 10 miles
but I am not comfortable and would have numb hands on a longer ride. I
agree with Grants ideas on bar height in general as it is what allowed
me to ride an upright bike again in comfort.  Go Rivendell !