Patrick,

I was running a 9sp 12-25 cassette with a Suntour Superbe Pro short cage
and a 46/38/28 with down tube shifters and the derailleur is well named.
 To my amazement I could run the entire cassette on each chainring with
only the slightest sag small/small though in practice I don’t do that.
 This appears to be way outside spec.

I then swapped wheels and crank and am now running a 14-28 7 sp freewheel
with a 50/45/26 crank.  It does not like the 26/28 combo and doesn’t wrap
enough chain in general on the 26t ring but is rideable. I will probably
swap out the 26 for a 28 or a 30.

I am super pleased with the Superbe.  Though I haven’t ridden it with 10sp
or barcons I have no reason to believe it wouldn’t be wonderful with both.
 Since mounting it only recently I read on Disraeli Gears that some
consider this derailleur to be the best shifting friction derailleur of all
time.  I don’t have nearly enough experience to make such a claim myself
but can well imagine it might be true.

Bill S