Rivendell must have an answer.  I recall hearing that the ideal gap from
the outer cage plate to the big ring should be 2 mm (1/8") but that may be
an ideal, not a hard'n'fast requirement.

On my Atlantis, I have a 24/34/44 triple & 11-36 9 speed with a Shimano
Deore (no other ID on it; nothing special) FD.  With the FD clearing the
chainstay by a whisker, there's a good 1/4" gap from the outer cage to the
44 ring.  So on the 34, the outer cage plate has to have a huge gap to the
34 chainring.  I rarely use the 44, so it's pretty much 34 for 99% of the
time & I can get all 9 cogs without fussing.  On the rare occasion I need
the 24, everything seems to work fine; no dropped chains or overshifting on
the upshift. All flat rings, no ramps'n'pins.

dougP