Hello Bunch!

On the hunt for a frame+fork/partial/complete to build up a commuter/fun
bike for a friend. They're largely afraid of cycling, but we recently did a
gentle 8-mile-each-way ride to the beach out on Long Island and they
absolutely loved it, all of it, except for the bike, and I don't blame
them! I won't talk trash on this bike, that's not very nice, but let's just
say they're ready for a new rig :)

They strongly prefer a mixte or step-through, as they feel safer on one. No
camping or loaded touring planned, but I'd love to rig a basket for their
errands, picnics, commuting, etc. Planning a build very much in line with
Rivendellish state of mind. Here are some further preferences/details I
(we) have:

   - PBH: 78.75
   - Height: 5' 6.75"
   - likely 700c, but open to other (also possibly looking for a budgety
   wheelset!)
   - rim-brake
   - lightweight steel tubing (has to walk up flights of stairs to their
   apartment)
   - any rideable/reliable condition is great: beausage + "anti-theft
   aesthetic" welcomed
   - we're on a budget - I have spare parts and will be donating my time; a
   frame under 400 (post-shipping) would be a dream, less is *even* dreamier
   - can accommodate for gears, but we're open to different versions of
   gearing set-ups
   - what am I forgetting?

Meanwhile I'm closely watching the internet; but would also appreciate
links to any candidates you may happen to see on your own bicycle perusings!

Thanks!
Patch
BK/NY
ptroffer *at* gmail *dot* com