Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about buying myself a new mountain bike, to complement my
Rivendell and my vintage mtb commuter that is as old as I am. I was
wondering what people on here might recommend. I want to spend between $700
and $1700. I want to be able to bunny-hop, hit trails, drop it in the
creek, go mud-bogging. I want a bike I can abuse without regret. I have
taken my Rivendell on trails, but I want to ride more aggressively. I am 6
feet tall, 210 lbs. 86cm PBH.

I'd like a steel hardtail, but I'd consider aluminum too I suppose. I was
thinking something like a Kona Unit X, a Kona Fire Mountain, a Surly
Wednesday. The Salsa Rangefinder looks good. Has anyone ridden one?

In the past, I have owned a Gary Fisher steel mountain bike from 1997 that
I bought new, and a Spot single speed, which I built up from parts but was
a little small for me.

What do you think?

Thanks

Michael