I recall reading a book perhaps 25 years ago about a couple of British
brothers who, some 35-40 years ago, bought a couple of custom steel touring
bikes to take on a huge, lengthy tour of Asia; at least the subcontinent,
and Afghanistan too, I think.

Anyway, their bikes were built by a well-known name whom I forget, and they
chose double cranksets with no front derailleurs for the sake of
"simplicity," choosing instead to carry little wire hooks to grab and move
the chain from small to big ring after they'd kicked it with heel from big
to small ring. This was described at some length in the book.

Aside, but during the 2 years or so I owned my Ken Rogers British racing
tricycle, I rode it as a 1X with granny without front derailleur; the
granny used only occasionally. But the trike was different, since besides
kicking the chain to the small ring with your heel, as you can do with any
2-wheeler, the 3 wheels give you the stability to reach down at very low
speeds and delicately pick up the chain with your thumb and index finger to
place it on the big ring, without fear of veering or falling over. In fact,
I recall once stopping dead on a hill, and reaching way down to guide the
*bottom* run of the chain onto the big ring while I backpedaled; can't do
*that* with 2 wheels!