Henry Coe Ride Report

I logged on a few weeks ago and asked the listserv about experiences
of Henry W. Coe Park.  Got some great reports that fueled my
excitement.

It’s the biggest state run park in Northern California, 87,000 acres
of open space.  Certain parts are closed to cyclists though it is
recognized as some of the best mountain biking in the greater bay
area.

Almost everyone I spoke to warned of the almost vertical climbs and
descents.  Even riders who I thought were in the same club suggested
full suspension.

My buddy Todd and I had planned an early morning departure last Monday
but delayed until about 6pm to avoid riding in the rain.  We departed
from Berkeley and arrived in Briones about an hour after dark.  We
rode a fire road out from the park entrance about a mile and pushed up
an extremely steep and muddy hill.  This short ascent proved to be one
of the most challenging moments of the trip.

Todd spent the night a bit cold, and we were both soaked from the tall
grasses we’d be tromping through.  In the morning we were considering
heading back home so he could pick up his thicker sleeping bag when
alas I remembered stories of the VBL.  Todd and I rode out to Walnut
Creek to the headquarters.  We both picked up some “Vapor Barrier
Liners” and we agreed our dollars could not have been better spent.
We went from wearing our down jackets inside our bags and shivering
through the night to ditching the jackets and feeling more than cozy.
Pretty incredible results for such a packable and inexpensive item.

Grant and Mark gave us directions from Walnut Creek out to Livermore
where Todd grew up.  They seemed a bit doubtful about our ambitious
journey but gave us some uplifting encouragement.

We made it out for sandwiches and tea with Todd’s parents and then a
good 10 miles into Mines Rd. before sunset.  We found a lovely
campsite on an unknowingly generous landowners’ space.  It felt
incredibly remote for being just 10 miles out of Livermore.

The next day we continued along Mines Rd. until a welcomed stop at the
Junction Café.  It’s located at the junction of Mines Rd. and Hwy 138
and is of a different world.  Giant Boar heads over the bar with
mangled tusks, not a single guy without a camouflage baseball cap.
Wonderful people, we felt warmly welcomed, humored perhaps.  Had too
much to eat and drink for our adventurous spirits and enjoyed some
good games of horseshoe outside the restaurant.

We departed from Mines Rd. soon after unto some private land for a
mile or so and then into the beauty of Henry Coe.  We spent 1 night
and 2 full days in the park.  Riding and pushing, pushing and riding.
I’d say our time was about 50/50 between the 2.  We crossed a dozen or
so rivers and felt lost in the isolated beauty.

>From the park we rode down through Gilroy and into Downtown San Jose
where we caught bus 181 to Fremont Bart and then homeward bound.

It was an incredible 4 days.

Refreshed and enlivened,
Adam

Pictures and some short videos: