I have to admit that both creeping old age and ignorance may be playing a
part, but I just am not understanding this thread.  For months now, maybe
even years, Grant has ranted against the advent of the eBike for various
reasons both environmental as well as physical.  Yet, here we are suddenly
espousing it.  What gives?

Why this sudden embracing of this "new technology" with its dependence upon
batteries and other components that make the use of "rare earth" elements,
many of which, when removed from the ground either by direct force or by
chemical extraction, have done major environmental damage to areas in China
areas where such mining has occurred (
https://e360.yale.edu/features/china-wrestles-with-the-toxic-aftermath-of-rare-earth-mining

).  I thought the major thrust of Rivbike (and Grant) was to espouse the
use of the human means of traveling.