There have been times in the past year when I wanted to chime in about
favorite tires, but  hadn't introduced myself, properly. I did post
pictures of my Roadini a while back, but still remain more of a listener.
There are 15 models of Marathon so when someone says they replaced their
rugged Marathon with a speedier tire, I want to ask "have you tried the
latest generation Marathon Supreme?" With the new slicker tread pattern and
One Star rubber compound?
I also want to ask , "have you tried the 26X2.00?" This size seems to be a
real sweet spot in terms of rolling and feel. The revelation was how much
better it rolled than 26X1.6 tire it replaced. It was not apples to apples,
since the 1.6 was the previous compound and tread pattern. The 26X2.00
Marathon Supreme seems similar to the Schwalbe G-One speed with a little
thicker rubber.
Living on a gravel road where I feather the brakes going down some steep
sections, the 26X2.00 feels more secure than the 700X35C on the Roadini,
yet another reason this is my favorite tire.
Isn't it nice there still options for nice rolling 26inch tires? It gave me
confidence when ordering an Ebisu frame based on 26inch wheels. It is still
in Tokyo, in quarantine, waiting for Japan Post Office to accept large
parcels.
For Patrick and others, the 26X2.00 Marathon Supreme measures an actual
45mm on Atlas rims. The V-Guard models are made for tubes. The Schwalbe 14a
xxlight tube fits perfectly.
Jim "Studded tires on the car; soon on the bike" in Lansing, Iowa