They may have zero interest, but if they bid and nobody bids higher, they
are obliged to buy it. If they don't, they could lose their access to eBay
auctions.
In terms of auction outings, that's a tough one. Obviously you are not
going to advertise an auction of an item you are interested in bidding on.
Then, if you are not interested, and post a link, now another list member
who was hoping to snag it may have to contend with more bidders. In this
case I think it was more of a novelty, can-you-believe check this out kinda
thing. Curious how you were able to eavesdrop on these two people who bid
with no intention of wanting the item.