Leah:

That came out spectacularly!  Glad to hear it rides a nicely as it looks.
Couple of thoughts from your post:  1.  Forget about ever getting it to a
point where there's nothing to change.  We are always tinkering / improving
/ learning.  My Atlantis will turn 18 in a few months & it's been thru many
iterations as I age & my needs change.  That's one of the many beauties of
a Rivendell.  They are so adaptable they age with you.  2.  There is an
alternate solution to your rack problem if you can't find a large, with
everything in short supply.  There exist (finding them may be another
story) short little extenders, perhaps an inch long, that elevate the rack
from the lower mounts.  I scored a rack like yours for a pittance, then
found out it wouldn't fit on a 58 cm Atlantis with 45 mm tires.  Oh so
close.  A buddy had a couple of these little extender things in his tool
box.  Problem solved.  If you hit a wall & want to give that a try, let me
know & I'll see if I've still got them.  I think that was 3 racks ago.  :)

Too bad about the shifters but I can see a shop doing that.  Probably the
first time anyone has ever requested that.

dougP