Of course! Many times! And worse than rubbing: major things wrong with the
new build: the front derailleur won't shift to the small ring (stupidly
installed crank on far too long bb spindle; learned something!*), the rear
derailleur rubs on spokes before shifting to the big cog (that one still
puzzles me, but I got another rd to work), fenders turn out to be too
narrow for tires (learned what "65" really means with SKS P65s), custom
rear rack sways like a cobra under weight of 12-pack (well, that was just a
bad design -- solution: pay for new rear rack), front low riders came
without bottom attachments (ditto, but usable for light loads on smooth
roads), can't get rear derailleur to perfectly index (7 speed XT; gave up
indexing for over 20 years, not kidding), etc etc etc over 50+ years of
tinkering on bikes.

I recall the hurt frustration with my very first from-scratch build, when
no brake known to man would fit the bike; Indian rod braked roadster frame
meant for 635 mm bead set diameter rims built up with 622 bsd 700C rim in
rear and 24" wheel in front. I really didn't know that you needed to match
wheel size to frame. Rode it on dangerous hilly roads with freehweel and no
brake except jamming right Ked onto front tire, survived, special
Providence that watches over fools and Americans.

Live and learn is the lesson.

*I fondly recall the look of contempt on the bike shop mechanic when I
plaintively explained the problem.

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 9:09 PM Bicycle Belle Ding Ding! <
jonasandle...@gmail.com> wrote:
... What I want to know if if the rest of you experience this agony.

All I want to do is just ride my raspberry Platypus. I have goals, a 3,000