Patrick Cronin went on to ask:  " Do you prefer to have the stoker feather
the rear disc brake rather than have the Captain feather using the
V-brakes? How do you handle this with communication/commands? "

There is no protocol in place yet, because I haven't ridden the bike in
this configuration with a stoker.  I just put the disc brake on last
night.  I have 5 stokers in mind:

Stoker #1 is nervous about cycling in general and likes control.  Having a
brake present will calm their nervousness
Stoker #2 is nervous about cycling and does not like to go too fast.
Having a brake will enable them to control speed without nagging the
captain to slow down
Stoker #3 is pretty calm and trusting, and follows instructions extremely
well.  They are also my heaviest stoker and the one about whom I'm most
concerned regarding sufficient braking power on a steep descent
Stoker #4 is trusting and follows instructions like #3 but is far lighter.
They are also my most likely camping partner, so we may have a heavy S24O
load
Stoker #5 is an expert mountain bike racer.  They have an excellent
instinct for scrubbing speed and following the briefest of instructions

It sounds like you have a system in place that works for you, which is very
good.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA