Thank you Sam for this post. This is currently on my mind.
My friends insisted on a clutch derailer, and then, better than insisting,
a friend gave me one (I reciprocated to make it a trade :)

So I've been internally himming and hawing over what shifter to run on my
Shimano 11 speed clutch derailer and Shimano 11-42, 11 speed casette.
One thing that came to mind is I'd like to have friction shifting an option
if/when, for some reason, I can't correctly tune the indexed shifting with
a barrel adjuster etc.
I think the barcon/bar-end option to switch between indexed and friction
shifting is a really nice option and back-up plan.
I am also a little resistant to mountain bike trigger shifters, not for
mechanical reasons, just...personal prefernce/bias.

So I'm thinking I'll go with the Microshift 11 spd thumb shifter.
It looks like its the SL-M11 I want:
https://www.microshift.com/en/product/sl-m11/
I wish it had the bolt with the folding loop on top like the Shimanos to
make it easier to switch between friction and indexed.

I think I'm decided now, thanks, but also happy to hear more.

-Matthew
San Diego, CA