Thanks Will B and Will D. I have an older pair of the Lake winter shoes
(even older than the MXZ303, from looking at the pictures), and they're
quite warm I usually have to wear them only a few times each winter, but
when I need them, I'm glad I have them. I had a pair of later Lake winter
road boots, but didn't like those as much and sold them when I switched to
SPDs on my road bikes.

I know that the neoprene covers are an essential part of the protection
system, but I really would prefer a boot without them, with room for 2
pairs of wool socks, including an outer, heavier pair, and thickish uppers
and a sole with some tread. But then, I rarely have to ride in slush or
rain or sleet.