I heard back from IRD about this, and here's what they say:
"The F has not been made for at lest 6 years and was designed for the
shifter pull ratio that upright style  (shimano mtn) shifter had.  The
Alpina D was a triple designed around the shimano road pull ratios.

The current model of the Alpina is the D version and uses drop bar pull
ratio (shimano road). "

This response lead me to researching more about shifter pull ratios, so
naturally I turned to Sheldon:

"The ratio of cable movement to derailer movement differs with Shimano's "
road <https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ri-z.html#road> " vs. "MTB
<https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_m.html#mountainbike> " front derailers.
This can cause indexing <https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_i-k.html#index>
problems
if you use a "road" front derailer with upright
<https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_u-v.html#upright> handlebars or a "MTB"
front derailer with drop handlebars. This is a concern if you are running
an indexed front shifter, such as Shimano STI or RapidFire shifters.

It is not a problem if you are using a friction system, such as bar-end
shifters or downtube shifters. It is also not a problem with ratcheting
systems such as Campagnolo Ergo."
..... https://www.sheldonbrown.com/front-derailers.html

I run all friction, all the time, so no issues. I ordered the IRD front
derailer yesterday. Thanks all!