With the clutch on, shifting the chain is tight moving onto the big front
chainring of 52 while the rear is in certain positions, plus, to remove the
wheel the clutch needs to be turned off anyhow, so I just left it off.
Next ride I'll test it again. The largest practical rear is 28 on my
setup.  I tried 30 but the chain  when long enough to go big-big is too
loose small-small.   It took a long time to figure out to  grind away some
of the front derailleur cage and bend it down some to shift the front
reliably. It's an IRD one specifically designed for the size chainrings
installed.   I like your idea of tightening the spring on the
rear  derailleur now that there is the old Shimano one to experiment with.
Thanks for asking.