Thanks Patrick, flattery will get you everywhere! I really like your idea
of the 10 mile photo project, I shall wait until the Platypus is built up
to embark on that. I just added vitiated to my repertoire too!

I was born in London and we moved around the UK quite a bit, including a
stint in Brighton ("Hove actually") long before it became a bijou domicile
fueled by the "Pink Pound" and emigrating to the US 36 years ago in my
early 20's so I sort of span both countries. Perhaps Roger Waters said it
best with "hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way?" It's a
country that has never really defined itself post Empire and two terrible
wars. Hastings actually featured as a fashionable backdrop to the Edwardian
hedonism ignoring the world changing around them. The Europe experiment has
gone terribly wrong and the penchance for a sort of pornography of
nostalgia worries me somewhat. However we should temper the pity party with
the fact that the UK still rates #6 for world GDP and boasts many of it's
billionaires.

And yes, the English climate is the butt of many jokes and like the food,
tales of it's awfulness are somewhat exaggerated. It does rain a lot,
however US Mid-West/North East levels of cold are unknown and the summers
are mild compared to the US in general. A sunny day in the UK countryside
is hard to match anywhere, if they were more frequent it would be even
better.

We loved Foyle's War too. Hastings took an awful battering during the Blitz
as damaged (or scared) bombers would cross the channel and drop their loads
on the 1st bit of Britain they found before turning for home. Inevitably,
with a mere 22 miles to travel from the French coast, Hastings bore the
brunt of that. My Great Aunt claims that as a girl a Luftwaffe plane banked
so low over the town the pilot waved at her!