I had a similar problem. I mounted the hupe on my bike just for a short
ride to carry some bike parts. Jerry rigged a basket onto the hupe and
carried a bunch of sugino cranksets and other bike parts (including 12
other hupes). A bit over the weight limit of the hupe, but worked for the
ride. Not too concerned about the paint on my bike, but a bummer that it
scratches so easy. I'm still gonna use the hupe, but seems from this
thread, a bit of tape on the frame is necessary...
thanks, couldn't tell if the frame was previously scratched there, or the
hupe itself.