Alright, this will probably sound un-Rivish,...please don't pick my
bones over.  I'm new to this type of bicycle.

I need my commuter/tourer Sam to go faster, if possible.  I have a
slate of century rides and a 200 km brevet lined up for the summer and
I'm being dropped by my riding companions who are significantly less
fit and heavier than I am, but are riding zippy road bikes (including
my old Roubaix).  I'm about 1.5 to 3 mph slower over the same course
than I was on "road bike."  I've never been a racer but I really don't
want my centuries to take 7 hours and I don't think I can make up the
difference with pure horsepower.  I'm planning on a second bike to
take on this duty, but that will be at least a year away.

So, where would this group look to speed up my Sam?  Wheels?  Tires?
I'm riding 36 spoke wheels with Jack Brown Blues.  And if it just
can't be done, tell me so and I'll practice smelling the flowers until
I can come up with the appropriate tool for the described job.

D.G.