The Petroglyph park area is also an old volcanic area, so this particular
section of NW ABQ contains a great deal of black-ish stone rubble from
ancient volcanos; along this latitude the volcanic debris continues for
miles; just east of Gallup there are big boulder deposits along I-40. Go N
or S along the same longitude and the vegetation will be similar but the
ground largely sandy; not like a beach, but finer, silt-like sand that will
turn into clay, gummy when wet, hard-packed when dry until heat and
mechanical action break it down again.

Bosque aside, it's a harsh landscape, but heartbreakingly beautiful in its
open, vast vistas and very bright light (sunlight on the beach in Santa
Monica seems dim in comparison, I kid not). Of course NM has many other
types of landscape.

It has been decades since I've seen Athens. An uncle used to teach at UGA,
and we'd visit there on home leave.