To keep track of miles I have a cyclometer.  This is my 3rd.  The first one
came off my beginner bike which I had for about 4 1/2 years.  I rode it for
5855 miles then when I got the Betty Foy I wondered if I'd ever ride it as
much.  And now I ride more than than yearly.  My first cyclometer was a
Blackburn then I got another one off ebay so I wouldn't need to change the
mount but the wiring went bad - intermittantly stopping.  So I took the one
off my daughter's bike.  It was given to me from someone who didn't use it
anymore.  It's a Cateye Enduro.  The mount was broken in a crash but I
fashioned a new one out of an old bike tube and a zip tie.  It's doing ok
from 2 yrs ago.  These are the wired ones with the spoke magnet and CR2032
battery.  When the display dims and I know I need to replace it, I write
down the mileage and reprogram it.

I've hauled all kinds of stuff on my Betty.  Just tonight I brought home a
5 lb can of oyster sauce, some sesame oil, cooking wine and found a 5
gallon soy sauce bucket at the dumpster.  The bucket was strapped to the
rack with a John's Irish strap.  Then on the way home from my friends
house, I found a floor lamp that I strapped on with a Voile strap.