Hi Brnedan

Ya'll better get high (in elevation of course).  If it is 110-115 in
Ridgecrest, it will be 105 in Kernville.  Take 9 Mile Canyon Road to
Kennedy Meadows. There are campgrounds there, you could use that as a base
camp. Or, Black Rock Station, then a S24O to Osa Meadow or Powel Meadow.
Osa Meadow has a stream in it (it did last year) that goes in and out of
the sand meadow, closer to bedrock are cool pools, deeper sand, no water.
Powell Meadow has a spring at the north end. I car camped at Osa Meadow
last summer, cold nights, its 8500. The big fires last summer burned to the
west edge of Osa Meadow according Cal Fire maps.   These areas are bordered
to the north by the Golden Trout Wilderness.

Roads to Osa Meadow, Powell Meadow are drivable in Mazda 3 wagon.  Big
Meadow is also 2WD vehicle.

Another cool place is Kernville to Sherman Pass Road (coming into the same
area as above but from the Kernville side), up the hill to Cherry Hill
Road. Do a S24O to Big Meadow and points south.  Not sure of how this area
has fared in the past decade with fires. Cherry Hill area got burned 20 yrs
ago or so.

Get the area map from REI, "The Kern River Sierra Outdoor Recreation Topo
Map", Extremeline Productions, 1:62,500, 100 ft contours. ISBN13
978-0-9723361-4-7

Mike SLO CA