I agree with Andy.  I had Kojaks with fenders, but it didn't feel quite
right--I felt like I was higher off the ground than I wanted to be.  I
liked it better with Pasela 32 mm.  I was on an Mavic Open Pro rim.  With
that said, I'm sure a 38 without fenders would fit.  However 650b x 42 mm
(with fenders) is heavenly!

Toshi