It's got to be frustrating.  I just recently ponied up for my first ever
>$300 saddle, a Berthoud Galibier.  I bought a used saddle of the identical
shape (the steel-railed Soulor) to confirm the size and shape work for me
before spending the big bucks.  The new Galibier is indeed 'hard as a rock'
brand new, and I've ridden it 60 miles on two rides.  I see the spots where
my sit-bones hit in the tan leather, so I feel like I'm in the process.  If
I invest 2000 miles and still don't feel like things are good, I'll be
pretty frustrated.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA