Long, slow exhale.

Holding an eagle to the east in memory of an amazing person who left us too
soon.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/eagle.html

There was a phrase, before this list, before Rivendell was more widely
known:
AASHTA

"As Always, Sheldon Has The Answer"

Back in the days of Usenet, when dealing with a technical cycling problem -
heck, even building a wheel from scratch - was a
17th-level-mason-guild-craft-mysto riddle you had to solve through elusive
scraps of information (and certainly no online videos), there was one
person who consistently wrote copious, logical, detailed answers to
technical bicycle questions: Sheldon Brown.

He set the standard in assistance, all from the back room of this shop I'd
never visited in Newtown Mass. Back in the days of dial-up.
Rec:Bicycles:Tech (and a dozen other sub-topics in Bicycles) was an oasis
and generations of riders owe him a serious debt. By his own admission, the
Harris Cyclery folks let him tinker around and play on this crazy
experiment of internet "discussion groups" long before it was widespread.
But we are richer for those decisions. It has a lot to do with how riders
became aware of stuff other than "what the pros ride!", learned the history
of the sport and bicycles in general, and it coalesced the perspective of
many of us who realized the sublime perfection of the bicycle in its most
basic form. It is part of the foundation of this list, to be sure.

There were so many articles, you cannot scratch the surface - it was the
original archive.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/history.html
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tandems.html

He is the one who finally nudged me into trying a fixed-gear
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixedgear.html
"Coasting is a pernicious habit"

His technical knowledge ran deep. No, deeper than that. His humor to his
last days filled the world. One of my favorite chuckles was when he
photographed Grant at the Bridgestone booth at the 2005 Interbike.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/lasvegas/2005/

I feel very, very lucky that I am out of retail these days. Running a high
service, knowledge-based store is a very difficult challenge when you can
get stuff delivered in 4 hours from a warehouse across your state. Layer on
that the constraints of doing business the last couple years and you have a
very tough equation to solve. It's why remembering and supporting those
quality organizations who hang in there is so important.

I'll admit this hit me unaware. But, it has hit me. Didn't realize they had
shuttered.
I guess I'll go pour one out, as the kids say. Thank you Sheldon. Thank you
Harris. You have blazed a trail and kept it clear. Now it's our turn to
continue.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/06/24/metro/we-had-people-with-tears-their-eyes-west-newton-bicycle-shop-closes-after-70-years/