Howdy all,

I just sold a frame to a fellow list member, and the transaction was made
through PayPal goods & services option. I then received an email from PP
with the heading "New IRS requirement – take action now". The body of the
email is as follows:

[image: D3F78C43-96EF-4845-9A1A-A418640B1F50_1_201_a.jpeg]

So not only do they want me to provide a tax ID number, but it looks like
they'll now be taxing any transaction over $600! Also, it's not clear
whether this is for any single transaction over $600, or worse, if it's a
cumulative annual total.

In the past when I've sold something to folks on this list and several
other lists, I usually give the buyer the choice of using friends & family
(FF) or goods & services (GS), letting them know how much I'd like to net
for each item (and letting them know how much extra they would have to add
if they choose GS). Roughly about 2/3 of my selling transactions have been
with FF, usually because this small forum of like-minded folks tends to
foster trust, and most of the items I've sold are less than $200. But the
other 1/3 choose GS, mainly under the guise of transaction security
(especially for a higher priced item).

But now that we'll apparently be taxed on anything over $600, what other
option(s) are there out there to provide buyer protection without the
seller having to pay taxes or registering an ID number?

~Mark
Raleigh, NC