I'm sure it's not intentional, but it's kind of funny to me that the way
Riv sort of hypes up the drop of each frame several times over the weeks
and days leading up to a sale, combined with talk of how few frames there
are and how long it'll be before more come (no doubt because they're trying
to set expectations), ends up I think being a massively successful sales
tactic that does exactly what they appear to loath - sells frames extremely
fast because people are buying opportunistically to some extent. It's now a
rare and coveted opportunity to spend your money on a Rivendell, and that
in itself is attractive.

Anyway, I think the lottery system is pretty darn fair - it evens the
playing field more than pretty much any other option. I know it's not the
best method for me, who has the flexibility to be ready to purchase at the
drop time and is pretty quick with a computer, as well as being reasonably
well-connected on Riv stuff, but that's sort of the point isn't it?

My preferred option would be the ability to pre-order - you might have to
wait a long time but you know you're in the queue.  I know Riv doesn't like
having this hanging over their heads but honestly, a deposit on a frameset
that can be cancelled for store credit at any time, which has no guarantees
on lead time at all but you will get your frame in the order the deposit
was received, seems the best to me. Plus it gets them some money in the
bank ahead of delivery date.