I used a 7/64 bit (half way between the 3/32 and 1/8 recommended by RBW. The spikes that stayed in are tight. I have checked and think I would have a difficult time removing them to re-thread. I really think my mistake was not getting them started straight. Two that fell out were in the extreme outboard holes where I had a previous pedal strike on pavement that had deformed the "lip" and probably pretty much guaranteed that I would start them crooked. I am not suggesting that secure installation requires tapping. Just another option. A little more complicated, but not that expensive if you leave out the new vice grip.
David

amoll68 wrote:
David,

I installed spikes in my GKs, but didn't need to tap them - can't
recall the bit size I used. I do know that the first hole was slightly
too big (maybe what happened to you?) I went down a size, and they all
went in fine, and I haven't lost a spike in over a year. IIRC, I used
a small metric socket to drive them home.

They work great - esp. in the wet.

Alex