I have some VP thin gripsters that are great and grippy but a friend warned
me they'll "eat your shoes".  I looked and he was right.  I wear thin soled
barefoot shoes like Five Fingers and Xero.  So I switched to the plastic
flats like Riv uses and I like them.  I've had the steel pins eat my shins
one too many times on a bumpy road.  I wore out the bearing on one so I got
another pair I've yet to put on.  Pedals are mismatched for the time being
but no one notices.