Great thread Leah! I too love my Clem (first gen "H" frame in green for me)
and everything it represents about the evolution of Rivendell's designs. I
became a Rivendell devotee during the "classic" era, lusting after
Quickbeams, Rambouillets, Atlanti, early Homers, etc. During the later
aughts and early teens they were already making smaller departures from
their lugged, level top tube road bike aesthetic (the mixtes, sloping top
tubes on the Sam, diagatubes on the Bombadil and Hunqapillar, etc.), each
one decried by the wool jerseyed diehards who had been following Grant
since the Bridgestone days. I bought my first Rivendell, the classic
Quickbeam, the same fall they brought out the "Mystery Bikes," the original
long chainstay bikes, and I have to say I was really intrigued by those
designs. So much so, in fact, that I spent the next four years trying
various upright bars on the Quickbeam, but it never seemed to ride as well
as the Mystery Bikes (two of which, belonging to others, I was lucky enough
to ride).

I agree with Leah that with its long chainstays, swoopy tubes, tig welding,
and really fat tires, the Clem probably represents the biggest single
departure from Rivendell's "classic" aesthetics, and its success paved the
way for everything that's come after it in terms of a general opening up of
what was possible with a Rivendell. For me, that came together in a build
using mostly black components, including a Thomson seatpost and Jones loop
h-bar. With this build <https://flic.kr/p/2mELwX1>, it encompasses and goes
beyond everything I had loved about the Mystery Bikes and had tried to
replicate unsuccessfully with my Quickbeam. It's no surprise that shortly
after I built up the Clem, the Quickbeam left my life. Aside from the
occasional wistful glance over its current owner's Instagram, I don't
regret it.

However, to those that see the recent designs as nothing but a fundamental
departure from what made Grant's designs attractive in the first place, I
would say that there is one unifying feature running through all of them,
and that is great handling *for the intended fit of the bike.* As anyone
who has ridden albatross bars on racing bike can tell you, good handling is
not just about steering geometry but also how the bike's geometry works
with your weight distribution and fit. Grant's Bridgestone designs had a
good reputation for handling, but were pretty much racing bikes that
assumed low handlebars and a stretched out fit. My feeling is that the
early Rivendell designs were attempting to replicate these handling
characteristics but with a fit that was more achievable for non-racers; so
things like (slightly) longer chainstays went along with drop bars roughly
even with the saddle. As Grant got older and continued to experiment with
things like Albatross bars, I'm sure he realized that "classic" Rivendell
geometry didn't produce the handling characteristics he wanted with a much
more upright posture, and thus began the experiments with longer chainstays
that led to the Clem and more recent designs. His success in replicating
those handling characteristics was evident to me the first time I chased
friends on road and cross bikes down steep paved descents on Mt. Tam. I had
never felt so confident in my bike's handling while sitting upright.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the classic designs as well. A couple of
years after the Quickbeam left, a green Rambouillet came into my life
<https://flic.kr/p/2kSZxh9>, and it's built up following the rules, with
drop bars and lots of silver Nitto and Sugino. With the drop bars and a
more "athletic" fit than the Clem, it also handles great and is the most
comfortable "road bike" (in the traditional sense) that I have ever owned.

-Jeremy Till
Sacramento, CA