As others have pointed out, there are ways to try to make mounting a tire
easier, and if your main goal is a wider tire, there is absolutely no
problem with putting a 35mm tire on a rim the width of the open pro. On my
Rambouillet I've maximized the tire size by running Paul Racer M brakes and
700x40 nominal (37.5mm actual) tires. A 35mm tire would be a great setup, I
think, and a good balance between tire volume and clearance. Picture
here: https://flic.kr/p/2kSZxh9

My rims are Velocity Aeroheads, which are very close in width to Open Pros
and DT RR 1.1's, if memory serves correctly. I don't experience any
handling issues with the wide tire/narrow rim combination. I run the
pressures 40 psi front/55 psi rear, and I've weighed between 225 and 235
lbs with this setup.

-Jeremy Till
Sacramento, CA