Andrew, I have the same brake lever/bar setup as you (44cm bars) on my
bikes. The levers are tilted in just slightly; two or three degrees I'd
guess. I've run them this way as long as I can remember so it feels
natural. No drawback to turning the levers in if that's your sweet spot.

Best,
Rich in ATL