Not entirely certain (my TA chainring experience is firmly rooted in
50s-60s stuff), but let me hazard a guess:

See that teeny hole below the teeth? My hunch is that if you stuck the
machine screw through the spacer, through the hole, and attached the nut on
the other side (long side away from the frame), it will act as an overshift
pin, to prevent you from shifting so far outboard that the chain comes off
the ring and jams between the big ring and the crankarms.

What say ye, peanut gallery?

Peter "more TA stuff than he knows what to do with, but nothing that new"
Adler
Berkeley, CA/USA