here's another thread discussing the T.A. drop pin and a couple good pics.
I'd guess the spacer is used to lengthen the set-up if there's a larger gap
involved, between chainring and crankarm.
Having the screw head on the inside is apparently correct but seems
undesirable - why didn't they tap the hole so all the working parts could
be outboard of the chainring (I guess you'd have to install the drop-pin
before installing the chainring that way, so less convenient perhaps).  The
pics at this link show a 5arm spider but the 5th arm isn't in line with the
crank (not hidden).  Dave H pointed out the pin is intended for the 5th
arm, when hidden I presume.  So maybe not needed on this version . . . or
do other set-ups still jam to some degree and this could help anyway?
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/ta-chainrings-what%E2%80%99s-this-spacer-for.277396/