Best gear combination for me (Sierra mountain region) is a 46x30 on the
front and a 13-34 or 36 7 speed on the back.  I get the 7 speed cassette by
taking apart a 10 speed cassette and putting just 7 cogs on the hub (my
rear hub is 120mm).  It works great with friction, and with the 120mm hub,
I get a very quiet ride and a strong wheel.  My only gripe is that I am
stuck with using the 11 tooth small cog.