Thanks, Garth; since you praise this company and use their tights with
satisfaction, I conclude that this Roubaix material is good stuff. Their
jerseys look good and reasonably priced for the level of quality.

I'll look again at that Specialized jersey as a light outer layer (at the
nearby bike shop), if I don't see a suitable wool exchange for my Kelly
green Kucharik.

Moving on to base layers: I find wool to be the best: it doesn't hold water
against your skin (it never feels clammy), seems to keep you comfortable
over a wider range of temps than synthetics (but then, I've not used
synthetic tops for 20 years), and breathes nicely if you don't seal it off
from the outside.

It was only 30* this am when I left for church wearing a light merino dress
pullover and an Italian wool cycling jacket (from the 1980s) with nylon
wind panels. Plus wool watch cap and DeFeet knit wool gloves under the
light lined leather Bundeswehr gloves. Pants were the Oslo jeans, and
merino socks under Specialized non-mesh mtb shoes. The jacket and top are
actually good down to the mid 20s if I add a scarf or Buff or a balaclava
under a Walz cap, and switch to PI Lobster gloves over the DeFeets. At
least, good for 3 hours which is a lot more than I usually ride in winter.