Joe,

While not a Roadini and not an answer to weight concerns, I  had similar
outcomes with tires on my Rambouillet.

My Ram came with 700 x 33.3 tires and most of the next decade I rode it on
28s. I had a few experiments with other tire sizes and during some
fenderless summers, up to 38s which is when I realized that all of the tire
sizes that physically fit the in frame, fork and brake calipers do not
interchange without consequence. The 38's pneumatic trail took my bike out
of its sweet handling envelope. The potential extra comfort they offered
was voided by the effect on handling and the return to the nice handling
behavior of 32s more than made up for their lesser air volume. Stampede
Pass ELs seem made for this bike. The impression of any tIre size on a bike
has to include the handling because the outcome is not an improvement if
you now have to spend twice the mental bandwidth to point the bike than
when on smaller tires.

My need for greater volume tires necessitated another bike, one designed
around adequately sized wheels and tires. Rivendell had no need to expand
the tire capacity of the Rambouillet with the Atlantis on the next page of
the catalog. That included way too many bugaboos with handling consequences
and likely motivating for their early campaign for conversions to 650B
wheels and tires for more air volume without elevating a bike out of its
intended handling.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh