My wife and I are spending a week in northern AZ, which included a day of
mountain biking in Sedona. We rented fancy dual-suspension, carbon fiber
wonderbikes which are about as anti-Riv as you can get — and it was a
fantastic experience! I’ve never ridden such a beast before, and was amazed
at the terrain it could handle in the hands of a newcomer to this style of
riding. It’s the most fun I’ve had on a bike in years.

I had a Gus in my shopping cart when they were last on sale, but ultimately
didn’t go through with the purchase because I want to be free to experiment
with builds that depart from the Riv way of doing things, such as IGHs and
disc brakes. And now I’m doubly glad I held off, because I am giving
serious consideration to buying a fully modern mountain bike.

In retrospect I think I gave too much credence to the idea of underbiking.
There’s no way I could have handled this sort of terrain on a Riv-style
bike — I would have been walking it the entire time. And while that may be
the lowest common gear, as a former commenter here liked to say, it
wouldn’t have been nearly as fun.

So I guess this is part confession and part query — who else mixes and
matches their Rivendells with the sort of modern ironmongery that would
give Grant & Co. conniptions?

Jay Lonner
Bellingham, WA (but temporarily in Sedona, AZ)