This is a good discussion. Riding mostly steel bikes with steel forks, I
often count myself among the anoraks here, but like the OP, I've tried some
new bike technology that enhances my cycling experiences. Once you know,
you know. Tubeless tires, brifters, and even carbon rims can be great for
certain riders, rides, and conditions.

Even bikes that many here would consider completely impractical, can be
really fun to ride and offer an interesting counter-argument to the
prevailing Rivendell wisdom. During the pandemic I started doing a lot of
long solo rides. I did them on a variety of bikes and in a variety of
clothing, including a bike with some aero equipment like low spoke count
deep carbon wheels combined with a tight fitting jersey. I went on longer
rides in less time and returned home feeling fresher. It was also fun. It
got me thinking more about the latest generation of carbon fiber racing
bicycles designed for aerodynamics and comfort. Someday I'd like to try a
bike like the Look 795 Blade or Time Scylon (made with 3km! of carbon
threads) just because I think they are beautifully engineered and kind of
bonkers. Interestingly, even in 2022, both of those are available in rim
brake models with mechanical shifting so in an odd way they also appeal to
my inner retro-grouch.