I've had good results carrying wheels horizontally by putting the rim
against the forward stop ("tombstone") of a rear rack and the axle with QR
hooked in front of the rearmost rail, held on by two toe straps or whatever
else is handy. I have no idea if your wheel and rack will match up in a way
that makes this possible. I've also made many backpack-type wheel carriers
out of stuff pulled from bike shop garbage cans: inner tubes as the straps
and a piece of cardboard as padding, attached using some combination of
knots and zip-ties.

Josiah Anderson
Missoula, MT