Nick,
As a lifetime resident of Perth, I can attest to the wind issue. For me I
have always been lucky geographically to commute with the prevailing winds
at my back a good part of the year. I know friends not so lucky who were
quick to adopt e-bikes for this reason.
One of the reasons I became such a fan of riding out bush here is that the
trees provide a wonderful barrier from the ever-present wind.