Sofie,

I went through literally this exact conundrum not too long after I got my
52 clem in 2017. It sounds like the speed of climbing (and therefore gear
choice) is not an issue, more of how it feels. Also, once you go dyanmo
(especially a nice one like the SON, its hard to go back).

   - I chose Option #2 in your case (cliffhanger plus a new rear hub), and
   ended up re-lacing the existing clem hubs and spokes with some lighter rims
   (pacenti brevets) and used them for my partner's AHH. It also gave me an
   excuse to pickup the skills of wheelbuilding, which is not as intimidating
   it seems.

The new setup made a big difference in how the bike felt, but I also used
the new tubeless compatible rims to setup the clem tubeless, so that also
had an affect on the ride feel (i.e. lower pressures and less rotating
weight, tubes are heavy!). Did it make me quicker riding up hills? Strava
says maybe, but regardless it did make the bike feel much zippier when
climbing which helped me enjoy riding the clem on bigger days with bigger
hills.

If I were to do it again, I'd setup the clem with even lighter duty rims,
something like the Pacenti Brevet or Velocity Quills. When built up by a
good wheelbuilder, they can make an excellent set of wheels that can handle
hillibike style (but not reckless!) riding with abandon. The tradeoff here
is the narrow brake track, something to keep an eye on as the pads wear
down.

Hope this helps,
Collin in Pancake Sacramento