Joe - the chain is rarely, if at all, on the smallest cog next to the chain
stay.  It is normally in either cog 4 or 5, counting from the largest cog
outward.  I can remember when a company by the name of Sedis (Sedisport?)
first introduced a narrower chain back in the late 70's in order to squeeze
more gears onto a freewheel with normal 120-126mm rear dropout spacing.  In
my opinion, it's been downhill ever since with manufacturers trying to
outdo one another with wider and wider dropout spacing and 9+ cogs.  OTOH,
I have an old '71/'72 Fuji Finest on which I'm running a 5-speed freewheel
on a 120mm PW hub, friction shifted, and everything works just fine all the
time.